Damn. That’s all I have to say. I picked up this oven roasted spatchcock chicken recipe the other day out of curiosity and it’s kickass.
To be honest, I wasn’t expecting much when I picked it up – it was more of an impulse buy when I was searching for chicken breasts but noticed that the whole bird was actually cheaper. Now in possession of a whole chicken, I needed to figure out a way to cook it, so I went with my trusty favorites – salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic.
After coating with seasoning and about 45 minutes in the oven I had the perfect spatchcock chicken. The skin was crunchy, the meat was tender and juicy; it was a joy to cook and eat.
Give it a try, you will not be disappointed.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lay chicken on cutting board breast side down. Starting from the neck side, use kitchen shears to cut down the spine on both sides until it can be removed. Use a knife to score the inside of the sternum, flip chicken back over, and press down so that it lays flat on the cutting board.
- Season chicken all over with salt pepper, paprika, and garlic powder.
- Place chicken skin side up on roasting pan and place into oven.
- Roast at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes, or until a thermometer reads 165 degrees in the thickest part of the meat.
- Let chicken rest for 5-10 minutes before cutting and serving.
- 1 3-4 lb whole chicken
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Ground Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Coarse Kosher Salt
- 2 tablespoons Paprika
- 2 tablespoons Garlic Powder
Want more variations of our oven roasted spatchcock chicken recipe? Have questions? Head over to our Cooking Community to join the conversation today!